This recipe is a personal favorite of me and has been since I was a child. This recipe serves four and the prep time is about 40 to 50 minutes.
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 large white onion, diced or slice into rings (you can also use a red onion)
1 1/3 cups uncooked brown lentils
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
salt and pepper and cumin
1. Place lentils in a medium saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes.
2. Stir in the rice and enough water to cover into the saucepan with the lentils.
3, Season with salt, pepper and cumin.
4. Cover saucepan, and continue to simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until rice and lentils are tender.
5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions and sauté about 10 minutes, until browned.
6. Mix half the onions into the lentil mixture.
Top with yogurt or diced salad.
Here is a great Palestinian salad recipe to go with the Mujadarrah.
4 small English seedless cucumbers
4 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Dice cucumber and tomatoes.
2. Place in bowl.
3. Add parsley.
4. Just before serving, add the salt, lemon and olive oil and mix.