Sunday, August 23, 2009

A couple of my favorite Ramadan dishes

Growing up, these were famous recipes at my home during the month of Ramadan. Now that I am older, these recipes remind me of growing up. I lost my father in 1994 and this year, Ramadan happens to be on the anniversary of his death and these two recipes make me feel closer to him and closer to home.

Fattoush Salad

Ingredients
1 cup tomatoes – cut in chunks
1 cucumber – chopped
¼ cup mint chopped
¼ cup parsley chopped
Romaine lettuce – about 6 cups, torn
2 pitas
2/3 cup feta cheese
1-cup red onions chopped

Directions
Toast 2 large pitas in oven until golden brown and crispy. Let cool and break into pieces. Mix all the ingredients with pita bread.

Prepare dressing
Sumac spice to taste
Lemon juice – ½ cup
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Lentil Soup

Ingredients
6 cups chicken or veggie stock – whatever your preference
1 lb. Red or green lentils – whichever your preference
1 tablespoon mince garlic
1 large potato chopped
1 large onion chopped
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
½ cup chopped cilantro
¾ cup lemon juice – add more if you like

Directions
Put stock, chopped potato, and lentils in a large pot and bring to boil.
Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes
Heat oil and cook garlic and onion until they are clear
Stir in onion and oil into mixture and add spices
Continue simmering until lentils are soft
Serve warm. Some people like to puree red lentils in a blender and make it a cream soup. (Feel free to do that if you like your lentil soup that way.)
Stir in lemon juice and cilantro

Well here are my Ramadan favorites, what are yours?

2 comments:

WhiteOrchid said...

ooh thanks! I'm gonna try the fattoush salad
Ramdan Kareem sis :)

Learning As I Go said...

Please let me know your favorites. Post them at your blog!

The Quran Says:

"And thus preach joy to My servants.Those who listen to the word and follow the best of it. Those are the ones whom Allah has guided and they are the wise people." (39:17-18)